If you do use a chip pan or deep fat fryer:
- Never leave it unattended when in use.
- No matter now hungry you are, never use a chip pan or deep fat fryer whilst under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication that causes drowsiness.
If you still use a traditional chip pan:
- Make sure you never fill it more than a third full of oil; and if you use a deep fat fryer don’t fill it with oil beyond the manufacturer’s mark.
When you’ve finished your cooking:
- Remove the pan from the heat or switch the appliance off.
- Change the oil regularly
- Never store the pan inside your cooker.
Never put water on a chip pan fire.