Making West Yorkshire Safer
To improve community safety and wellbeing and reduce the risk to life, property and the environment from fire and other emergencies.
- Invest in our estate in Birkenshaw to provide a state-of-the-art, energy-efficient, headquarters, training centre and new fire station.
- Prepare and respond effectively to incidents caused by extreme weather.
- Implement learning from the Grenfell Inquiry to improve how we respond to high-rise emergencies.
- use Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) inspection and assessment programme as a foundation to implement our improvement action plans to deliver an outstanding service.
- Implement the new, approved Fire Standards to ensure the Service is demonstrating its commitment to continuous improvement.
- Embed and share the learning from the Coronavirus pandemic internally and with our partners.
- Engage with the community to inform our firefighter recruitment campaign to improve the diversity of our workforce.
- Maximise the health, safety and wellbeing of all our staff by investing in innovative fire station and fire engine design.
- Continue to engage with owners of high-rise residential buildings to ensure they are aware of the duties placed on them through new regulations which aim to make buildings safer for residents.