What do we deliver during a Safe and Well visit?
Firefighters now spend much of their time visiting people in their homes, discussing fire safety and offering advice to eliminate or reduce the risk of a fire happening in their home. They also discuss a practical fire escape plan to make sure that if the worst does happen, the occupants can escape safely with their families.
During a Safe and Well visit, we will:
- accompany you to assess fire safety in every room in your property
- identify and make you aware of the potential fire risks in your home
- make sure you know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
- discuss with you, a bed-time routine that will help keep you safe at night
- help you put together an escape plan in case a fire breaks out in the future
- ensure you have a working smoke alarm, and ensure you know how to test and maintain it
- Give basic advice on topics such as:
- Crime prevention
- Falls prevention
- Cold homes
- Smoking cessation
- Social isolation
- assess the need for free interventions to help you reduce the risk of fire in your home
- refer you (with your permission of course) to agencies that may offer further help to keep you safe and well.
Do we offer this service to everybody?
Not everybody will qualify for a Safe and Well visit. We assess all referrals to ensure that we are focusing our time on those who are most at risk of fire. If you are deemed as being low risk, we offer a free interactive online resource to help you conduct your own fire safety check. Once completed, you are provided with a personal advice sheet to print off or keep electronically.
To see if you are eligible for a Safe and Well visit, please complete the online request form by using this link:
Request a Safe & Well Visit
Or complete your own Home Fire Safety Check here:
Complete Your Own Fire Safety Check
Important Information: The information you supply to us in requesting a Safe and Well visit will be retained and processed by us for administration purposes in connection with your current request and any future requests you make to us for services, regardless of whether you proceed with your current request or not.
Tel: 0800 5874536
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service