As of 1st October 2023, we will no longer be issuing any fire retardant interventions as part of our Safe & Well offer. This decision was made following a review, where concerns were raised that issuing these interventions was reinforcing unsafe behaviours. In addition, evidence was found that these interventions were not always being used properly, leading to an increased risk over time.
If you are an organisation who has a partnership with West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Services, you will have access to our Secure Referral Portal and will need to use this to submit your referral.
By completing the questions on our portal, this allows us to risk filter the case more effectively in our system and have the right level of officer deal with the case straight away.
Do we offer a Safe and Well visit to everybody?
Not everybody will qualify for a Safe and Well visit. We assess all referrals to ensure that we are focusing our time on those who are most at risk of fire. If you are deemed as being low risk, we offer a free interactive online resource to help you conduct your own fire safety check. Once completed, you are provided with a personal advice sheet to print off or keep electronically.
To see if you are eligible for a Safe and Well visit, please complete the online request form by pressing here.
During a Safe and Well visit, we will:
- Accompany you to assess fire safety in every room in your property
- Identify and make you aware of the potential fire risks in your home
- Make sure you know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
- Discuss with you, a bed-time routine that will help keep you safe at night
- Help you put together an escape plan in case a fire breaks out in the future
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm, and ensure you know how to test and maintain it
- Give basic advice on topics such as:
- Crime prevention
- Falls prevention
- Cold homes
- Smoking cessation
- Social isolation
- Assess the need for free interventions to help you reduce the risk of fire in your home
- Refer you (with your permission of course) to agencies that may offer further help to keep you safe and well.
Important Information: The information you supply to us in requesting a Safe and Well visit will be retained and processed by us for administration purposes in connection with your current request and any future requests you make to us for services, regardless of whether you proceed with your current request or not.