Frequently Asked Questions

Careers Questions

Q. Does WYFRS have any vacancies?


All vacancies are published on the Careers section of our web site.


Imortant note: we are not recruiting wholetime (full-time) firefighters at this time.

Related Pages:

Q. I'm thinking about a career with West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, where can I get more information?


The Careers section of our web site provides more information about the types of role performed by firefighters and support staff.

Related Pages:

Q. What's the difference between Wholetime and On-call Firefighters?


Firefighters can be either Wholetime (full-time) or employed on an On-call (part-time) basis.

Wholetime firefighters are permanently based at, and mobilised from a fire station. On-Call firefighters often have other jobs and/or responsibilities, and when they are on duty, respond to calls from their home or place of work.

Related Pages:

Q. What do Firefighters do?


Our firefighters have one of the most respected jobs within the community: responding to incidents, preventing them from happening and protecting West Yorkshire citizens and property.

In order to achieve our ambition of "Making West Yorkshire Safer" and provide an excellent service to all our communities, we must employ firefighters who can recognise, understand and respond to their needs. A diverse workforce which reflects West Yorkshire communities is better equipped to achieve this.

To find out more about what they do, visit our Careers pages.

Q. Do you just employ Firefighters?


No. Although the focus is on front-line operational staff, for that to be effective we rely upon a range of support functions and activities. We employ staff in financial services, employment services, legal services, occupational health and safety, information and communications technology and administration services. They all contribute greatly to the ability of front-line staff to deliver an exceptional service to the communities of West Yorkshire.

Related Pages:

Q. Can I register for alerts for future job vacancies?


Yes, you will need to register on our online e-recruitment system (Opens in a new window). You will need to provide your name, email address and choose a case-sensitive password which needs to include letters and numbers. You will then be able to select which roles you want to be alerted for e.g. all vacancies/firefighting/support staff roles.

Each time you use the e-recruitment system you will need to enter a username and your password. In the vast majority of cases your username will be the email address that you used to register with initially. If you forget your password, simply enter the email address you registered with on the system (Opens in a new window) and it will be emailed to you.

General Questions

Q. Are West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service holding an Emergency Services Show or summer gala in 2015?


Yes, the Emergency Services Show will be held on Saturday 11 July 2015 at 11.30 AM at Fire Service Headquarters, Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, BD11 2DY.

Q. How can I arrange a Home Fire Safety Check and have a free smoke alarm fitted?


Home Fire Safety Checks are free and you can arrange a visit from our Community Fire Safety Team by filling in the "Book a Home Fire Safety Check Form" on our Contacts page by using the Related Pages link below.

Visits are carried out seven days a week, from 9am to 9pm.

Q. How do I find out more information about Fire Alarms for people with Sight/Hearing/Mobility impairments?


Specialised alarm products include Easy Access alarms, bright stickers to attach to alarms, Strobe Lights and Vibrating Pad Alarms.  Your local fire station will be able to advise on these products or help with installation.  

Further information and support is provided by the following organisations:


Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB)
Telephone: 0845 766 9999
Website: (Opens in a new window)

Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID)
Telephone: 0808 808 0123
Textphone: 0808 808 9000
Website: (Opens in a new window)

The Government’s “Fire Kills” website: (Opens in a new window)

Q. I would like to visit my local Fire Station or take a group of children - is this allowed and if so, how do I arrange?


Yes we do allow visits to stations for the general public and groups of children, however, you must telephone first to make an appointment direct with the station in order to arrange a convenient date and time. 

Please use the Related Pages link below to access the Your Area pages of this website.  Once there you can then identify your district and your local station and find the relevant contact details.

If you have any difficulties, please telephone Headquarters during normal office hours on 01274 682311.

Related Pages:

Q. Do you provide and install Carbon Monoxide detectors?


As Carbon Monoxide does not relate to fire safety, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service do not provide or install Carbon Monoxide detectors, as we are not specialists in this area. However, please click on the following links which provide useful independent advice in this area:-

Related Pages:

Q. What advice do West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service provide in relation to Carbon Monoxide poisoning?


Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that is highly toxic and we would therefore urge people to read the following information by clicking on the links below:-

Related Pages:

Q. How can I make a charitable donation to West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service?


The Firefighters Charity welcome any kind of support and donations can be made by sending a brief covering letter with a cheque made payable to "The Firefighters Charity".  Please ensure such cheques are sent to the Finance Department, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, Oakroyd Hall, Bradford Road, Birkenshaw, BD11 2DY.

Alternatively, you can also make a donation via The Firefighters Charity website by clicking on the link below and selecting the 'Donate Now' button.

The Firefighters Charity (Opens in a new window)

Q. Can you please confirm how West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service tendering process works?


Open tenders for the supply of goods and services to the Authority will be advertised on our 'Applications to Tender' page of our website.

Information of the Authority's Procurement Policy and Strategy are also available by using the 'Applications to Tender' link above.

Q. Do you offer work experience for students at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service?


Unfortunately, we do not offer work experience placements mainly due to health and safety reasons.

However, if you are interested in a career with us - either as a Firefighter, or in a Support role, then please visit our Careers pages, or contact us.

Q. I am interested in doing a firefighter exchange with someone from the UK - does your Brigade offer an exchange program?


Unfortunately, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service do not participate in firefighter exchange programs.

Q. I would like to request photos/DVD footage from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service - are they available and is there a fee for you to provide?


Our Visual Services Department do hold photos and DVD footage, however, in order for us to respond to this type of request we would require specific information (ie. name/date/location etc) and we may also require a fee to release the information.  In addition, exemptions in relation to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 may also apply. 

If you do hold the specific information above and wish to submit a formal request, please do so by using the relevant form below:

Information Request Form

For further information regarding Freedom of Information Requests, exemptions and possible charges, please click on the Related Pages link below:



Related Pages:

Q. Do West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service offer the use of community rooms?


Some of our stations do offer the use of community rooms; details of those stations that do are as follows:-










If you wish to book a room, you would need to contact the relevant station direct. Please click on the following Related Pages link which takes you direct to our website stations page whereby you can find the relevant contact details.

Related Pages:

Q. How do I inform West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service that I am going to carry out controlled burning?


If you are planning any controlled burning please inform us using the Control Administration line:

0113 8237007

Risk Management

Q. What is Risk Management?


Risk Management is a practice with processes, methods, and tools for managing risks in an organisation. It provides a disciplined environment for proactive decision making to:

  • assess continuously what could go wrong (risks);
  • determine which risks are important to deal with;
  • implement strategies to deal with those risks

For further information on Risk Management and to view our please click on the Related Pages link below.

Community Risk Management Strategy (2835.42kb) (PDF Document - Opens in a new window),

Q. What does success look like?


An effective Integrated Risk Management Plan should:

  • identify existing and potential risks to the community within the authority area;
  • evaluate the effectiveness of current preventative, protective, and response arrangements;
  • identify opportunities for improvement and determine policies and standards for prevention and intervention;
  • determine resource requirements to meet these policies and standards;
  • include arrangements for implementation, monitoring, audit and review
  • The primary objective is to make the service more responsive to locally identified needs and enable better delivery of community safety.

Q. What can Risk Management do for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service?


There will be a cultural shift from reactive to proactive decision making that avoids problems before they arise. Anticipating risk trends will become a part of everyday business, and the management of risks will be an integral part of strategic planning.

Q. What are the consequences of not doing Risk Management?


West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service will not have insight into how the service could be improved, consequently the wrong allocation of resources could be made.  Decisions will be made without complete information or adequate knowledge of future consequences, the overall probability of reducing risk to life will be lower.

Property Management

Q. What categories of work do the Property Management Unit deal with?


All kinds of construction, refurbishment, maintenance and repairs including building services and estates management.

Q. How are contractors selected for work?


Generally, suitable contractors are selected for work from the approved contractors list which is managed by the Property Management Unit.

Q. How do contractors gain inclusion on the approved contractors list?


Selection of contractors is generally determined by meeting the requirements of the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority Approved Contractor's document which is available on request from the Property Management Unit.

Alternatively, current registered members of Constructionline may be considered and selected.

Q. How do contractors remain on the approved contractors list?


To maintain eligibility for selection, contractors must ensure they submit their Insurances and Health and Safety details and the like annually or when expiry dates are reached or alternatively, ensure that their Constructionline registration remains valid.

Additionally, the Authority reserves the right to suspend or remove any Contractor from the list if: 

  • The Contractor is or becomes, in the opinion of the Authority, unsuitable for inclusion on the list. 
  • The Contractor is unsatisfactory in respect of any contract awarded to him by the Authority. 
  • The Contractor fails to tender, without adequate warning or notice, on one or a number of occasions having been invited to do so. 
  • The Contractor declines to tender on two occasions having been invited to do so.

Q. Will contractors placed on the approved contractors list be guaranteed work?


Inclusion on the approved list does not necessarily mean that contractors will automatically be given the opportunity to tender/quote for work, nor will there be a guarantee that contractors will be awarded any contracts for work. However when planning works, consideration will be given to the suitability of contractors for the type and category of work to which their application applies.

Q. Do any schemes fall under European Advertising requirements?


When major schemes are appropriately sized, requirements for suitable consultants or contractors are advertised for selection in accordance with the requirements of the Official Journal of the European Union.

Q. How are procurement methods determined?


All tendering and works procurement is carried out in accordance with the Standing Orders of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority.