In emergencies call 999

Petroleum and Explosives

⚠️ Notice for holders of Fireworks/Explosives licences ⚠️

Extension to Explosives licence update

We understand the impact the Government’s advice for non-essential shops to close has had on retailers of fireworks and other explosive articles that hold a licence (storage/supply) issued by West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Authority (WYFRA).

Following the recent announcement that non-essential shops that are Covid secure can re-open we can now provide licensees with a further update.

All explosives licenses issued to store and supply explosives issued by WYFRA current on or after 26 March 2020 will be extended for a period of 3 months.  You do not need to take any action regarding this information. You will receive a reminder from WYFRA prior to the extended expiry date of the licence.

NOTE – All licences issued after the date of non-essential shops re-opening (15 June 2020) will revert back to annual (12 month period) fees.


Contact Details – Senior Inspector Petroleum & Explosives – 0113 387 5722

The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority is responsible for the enforcement of the following acts and regulations which pertain to the storage of petroleum-spirit and certain types and quantities of explosives.

Important Information for Fireworks License Holders or Applicants who wish to store Fireworks for sale in 2019.

The following information relates to legislative changes introduced by the Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2010 and now required by the Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015.

The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 require that from the 5 July 2017 all consumer fireworks sold in the UK must comply with Part 2 of those Regulations.

Part 2 outlines the legal obligations of economic operators, retailers etc.

The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 specify those fireworks which may be supplied to the general public. These are listed as Category F1, F2 and F3 fireworks.

Only fireworks that comply with European safety standards that carry a CE mark and are correctly labelled, with details of the manufacturer and importer, can legally be supplied to consumers after the 5 July 2017.

Please be advised that if you are currently stocking retail fireworks that do not bear the required CE mark and are instead labelled under BS7114: Part 2 they will need to be sold or returned to your supplier before 5 July 2017. After this date it becomes an offence to sell these fireworks and you will be required to dispose of them at your own expense.

As the legislation currently stands, after 5 July 2017 fireworks – those are marked as complying with BS7114: Part 2 can no longer be supplied to the public.

Please take this into consideration when purchasing any new stock this season. If in doubt please contact your supplier.

Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER2014) – The Explosive Regulations will be supported by a suite of overarching and subsector guidance. The overarching guidance consists of two documents:

  • L150 focuses on safety provisions
  • L151 covers security provision

Both the above documents are available from the HSE website

  • If there are no changes to the storage arrangements which were agreed at the time of issuing the licence, then there are no requirements to re submit plans to the licencing authority.
  • Please note it is likely to take 4 weeks to process any application received.

For the appropriate fees etc. please click HERE

Download (PDF) form: Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014

Download Word (DOCX) form: Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014

Download (PDF): Retailers Firework Storage Suitability Flowchart.

Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCR)

The PCR came into force on the 1st October 2014. Due to this change in legislation the Petroleum Licensing Authority (i.e. West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Authority) will be known as the Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

As with existing petrol storage legislation, they apply to:

  • workplaces that store petrol and dispense it through manual or electrical pumping from a storage tank, i.e. petrol filling stations (retail and non-retail);
  • storage of petrol at non-workplace premises, e.g. private homes, clubs, associations, etc.

The Regulations consolidate much of the existing legislation so there is little overall change.

The Regulations do not change existing health and safety responsibilities for petrol filling station operators or those working at them.

The licensing regime is being replaced with a certification scheme. To store petrol at a petrol filling station a petroleum storage certificate (storage certificate) will be required.

The application process is similar to the current system for licences and applications will be to the local Petroleum Enforcement Authority.

Fees remain the same and will be collected by the PEA issuing the storage certificate and remain at the same level as the pre-existing PCA licensing fees.