Who we are
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service aims to ‘Make West Yorkshire Safer’ by ‘Providing an excellent fire and rescue service working in partnership to reduce death, injury, economic loss and contribute to community well being’.
Awareness raising, training and education contribute to the achievement of our aim and ambition and are vital to delivering a proactive fire prevention and protection programme.
In support of this approach, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are proud to be the home of Safety Central, the centre of excellence for the development and delivery of safety awareness and education. Safety Central is funded and led by West Yorkshire Fire Authority, working with partners, to improve safety outcomes for people living in West Yorkshire.
Safety Central sits within the Central Prevention Department.
PO Box 195
T - 0113 3874350
E - email@example.com
What we do
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service partner with organisations who work with members of the community deemed to be at risk. Safety Central assists the Service and its partners in the delivery of safety related outcomes by tailor making interventions to meet the specific needs of people most vulnerable to death, injury or personal loss through fire or road safety related incidents.
We work with partners to design innovative solutions to specific issues by;
- Identifying the risk through data interrogation, research, partnerships and consultation
- Understanding specific needs by listening to professionals and members of the community
- Designing the intervention by tailor making an intervention in response to what we learned
- Delivering the intervention using a variety of means, often in partnership, in a way most appropriate to the risk and target audience involved
- Continuously improving by seeking feedback and acting on suggestions for change
Safety Central makes a major contribution to the strategic priority of delivering a proactive fire prevention and protection programme and embraces our Service core values of service to the community, people, diversity and improvement.
We work within the widest remit of safety, health and well being where a fire or road safety message can be incorporated into joint messages. We lead on the development of new projects and interventions and can also contribute to and enhance existing work.
Why we do what we do
Safety Central assists partner agencies in the achievement of a range of local priorities; however, our core business is to achieve a reduction in;
- Accidental fires in the home; devastating for members of the community
- Deaths and injuries from accidental fires in homes; each fire in the home has the potential to take life, cause serious injury and emotional suffering
- Malicious false alarms attended; calls where an individual deliberately contacts the fire and rescue service knowing there is no incident for them to attend are not just a nuisance, they can be life-threatening, because crews attending these false alarms will be unavailable should a genuine incident occur
- Primary fires; the most serious type of fire typically accounting for approximately 15 per cent of all incidents
- Fires started deliberately; a concern for any Fire and Rescue Service, Police force and local authority due to their link with anti-social and criminal behaviour.
We also aim to;
Promote road safety working with partners to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on West Yorkshire’s roads.
Safety Central support our own five district Prevention Teams in the achievement of these aims working both on site at Safety Central and out in districts to provide a vital support function.