Petroleum and Explosives

Ignited fireworks

Contact Details - Senior Inspector Petroleum & Explosives - 0113 387 5721

The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority is responsible for the enforcement of the following acts and regulations which pertain to the storage of petroleum-spirit and certain types and quantities of explosives.

Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER2014)

ER 2014 came into force on 1 October 2014 and consolidates and revokes a number of existing explosives regulations. It brings together the requirements of health and safety related explosives legislation into a framework based around common topics and mergers registrations into the licensing system.

As a result of the consolidation the Approved Code of Practice to the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 (L139) has been withdrawn.

The Explosive Regulations will be supported by a suite of overarching and subsector guidance. The overarching guidance consists of two documents:

• L150 focuses on safety provisions
• L151 covers security provisions

Both the above documents are available from the HSE website (Opens in a new window)

Use the following link to obtain the application/renewal form Application for a Storage Licence (213.31kb) (PDF Document - Opens in a new window) (PDF Document - Opens in new window) under the Explosives Regulations 2014.

  • Please note it is likely to take 4 weeks to process any application received.

For the appropriate fees etc. please click HERE (138.91kb) (PDF Document - Opens in a new window)

Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCR)

The PCR came into force on the 1st October 2014. Due to this change in legislation the Petroleum Licensing Authority (i.e. West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Authority) will be known as the Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

As with existing petrol storage legislation, they apply to:

• workplaces that store petrol and dispense it through manual or electrical pumping from a storage tank, i.e. petrol filling stations (retail and non-retail);

• storage of petrol at non-workplace premises, e.g. private homes, clubs, associations, etc.

The Regulations consolidate much of the existing legislation so there is little overall change.

The Regulations do not change existing health and safety responsibilities for petrol filling station operators or those working at them.

The licensing regime is being replaced with a certification scheme. To store petrol at a petrol filling station a petroleum storage certificate (storage certificate) will be required.

The application process is similar to the current system for licences and applications will be to the local Petroleum Enforcement Authority.

Fees remain the same and will be collected by the PEA issuing the storage certificate and remain at the same level as the pre-existing PCA licensing fees.

For the appropriate fees etc. please click HERE (138.91kb) (PDF Document - Opens in a new window) (Opens in a new window)

Use the following link to obtain the application form Application for a Petroleum Storage Certificate (68.9kb) (Word Document - Opens in a new window)